Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers. If your question is not answered here, feel free to contact us.
Click/tap on the question to see the answer.

The Caldwell House land-line with answering machine phone # can be found in all of the following places.

  • Online:
  • Outside:
    • Next to the front door, on the glass
    • At the top of the intercom list
  • Inside:
    • Above the mailboxes on several of the certificates and notices hanging there
    • On the note on the Resident Managers' apartment door
    • On the boiler room door in the basement
    • In your own apartment:
      • On a refrigerator magnet that we handed out in 2012, or left on the refrigerator if you moved in after that
      • If you moved in within the last few years, in the binder of Caldwell House info that we left in the apartment

Affiliated Management contact info is also available on the Contact Info page of this web site and at


The Caldwell House property is located in The Borough of Caldwell, Essex County, State of New Jersey, USA.

If you are looking for another Caldwell, try Wikipedia's list:
(Great Britain, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Kansas, a parish in LA, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, ...)

We are at the absolute western end of Caldwell. The building next door (551) is actually in West Caldwell.

If you live in Caldwell, you'll notice that some of your mail is addressed to West Caldwell, other mail to Caldwell. This is because Caldwell and West Caldwell (and North Caldwell too) share the 07006 Zip Code. Some companies look up the zip code and blindly use the last result in the list. Addresses do not repeat, so no harm done if someone sends mail to this address but uses West Caldwell instead.

When setting up new or transferring existing electricity, phone, TV, Internet access, and other services, keep this in mind. If they can not find your address in Caldwell, have them try West Caldwell too, even though that is incorrect.

If you live here, make sure you call Caldwell Borough Hall, the Caldwell Police Department, the Caldwell Fire Department, and other organizations for Caldwell - not West Caldwell.

You can get a full validated USPS address by going to the USPS web site and using their Zip Code™ lookup.

Wikipedia: ZIP Code

The ZIP Code for Caldwell, North Caldwell, & West Caldwell is 07006.

ZIP Code 07007 is used for PO Boxes.

If you live in:Your extended ZIP+4 Code is:
A7-A8, B1-B607006-5527
B5-B8, C1-C207006-5528

See also: Is the Caldwell House building in Caldwell or West Caldwell?

The Star Ledger

Each paper for the building will be in a yellow plastic bag, usually with each apartment number written on it. You'll either find the newspapers by the mailboxes or outside the front door.

The Progress

The Progress will be in your mailbox on Thursday.

Sorry, no. Mounting a dish (or anything else) anywhere outside of your apartment is not allowed. This includes the side of the building, the roof, fire escapes, and poles in the ground. If you can somehow put a dish 100% inside your apartment, that of course would be fine, but you'd be the first.

Even though the old rabbit ears antennas are not in use too much any more, nowadays there are all kinds of TV antennas that can pick up HDTV, and many TV stations broadcast their digital signal over-the-air. If you can pick up their signal, you can have free TV after paying the cost of the antenna... and the TV.

Unfortunately, where we are physically located, it will probably not work very well here. We are at the bottom of a hill, and NYC is on the other side.

Even a good indoor antenna like the Mohu Leaf will probably only get you a few channels, some not in English, but very few, if any, of the NYC-based network ones: CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, My9, CW11.

Dial-up, Verizon DSL, Comcast Xfinity, and Verizon FiOS are available.

Don't get dial-up.

Verizon DSL
Verizon DSL operates over copper phone wiring, the building is ready to go for that - if nobody disconnected the phone jack closest to where you want to put your DSL modem/router... The phone jack that you use must be a "POTS" land-line phone jack which connects to the basement. It will not work with a Verizon FiOS-based jack connected to their equipment which is usually installed in the front closet. Nowadays, DSL is essentially considered to be "ancient". It is the least expensive option and is the slowest option (after dial-up). If you will be streaming videos, it is probably not the right choice for you.

Comcast Xfinity (cable)
Comcast coaxial cable has been wired in to every apartment already. Unless the previous tenant had Verizon FiOS and they cut the Comcast cable, you should be ready to go for that. If it was cut, then a Comcast cable installer will need to re-connect it to their wiring in the building hallway.

Verizon FiOS (fiber)
The building itself has been wired for Verizon FiOS (fiber-based). Wiring has been run to each hallway, to outside of each apartment. If an apartment has never had a tenant in it with active Verizon FiOS service before, the apartment will need some wiring done when the first person signs up for it. Generally this takes a Verizon FiOS installer (or two) a few hours to a full day, depending on how the installation goes and what equipment you need. They will install a box (ONT), usually in your front closet, and then connect everything else to that. They will also need to run wire from there to an electrical outlet, typically in a bedroom, and plug in a small rectangular box there.

Which one should I get?
If you are not sure which one you want to get... Purely based on what type of wiring can handle the most data, Verizon DSL's copper wiring (thin copper) has the least capacity, Comcast's coaxial cable (thick copper) has more, and Verizon FiOS' fiber-optic cable has the most. Each company offers varying speeds of service for different amounts of $, though, so that's why everyone's marketing-heavy facts-light commercials are so confusing. Resident Manager Jason is a computer/network engineer, feel free to ask him questions if you have any.

If enough demand is expressed for Caldwell House to provide WiFi to it's tenants, this is something we could possibly do in the future - Resident Manager Jason has done this professionally many times. At this time, we do not offer Internet access for our tenants.

Sorry, no. Damaging of your windows is not allowed.

Please do not install (or even purchase) a window air conditioner before talking to us first.

If you need to put a window fan in or something like that, and want to ensure that the window stays closed down on to it, we can provide you with a vinyl-window lock that will not damage the window.

If you live on the "A" floor, you already received one lock per window, either when the new windows were installed, or when you moved in.

Do not put tape on the window. Also, you may want to try wedging a thin rubber door stop into the window gap to keep it closed, or put a block of wood vertically at the the top of the inner window bracing it closed. Just make sure it does not damage the window at all.

See also: How do I install the window locks?

Of course. Get ch-buzzer.pdf from the forms page or contact us for a printed-out copy of it.

If you have general questions about paying rent online or how and where to send rent payments, or any general billing questions like that, the Resident Managers can answer any of those questions. If you are a current tenant, look at the Pay Rent page on this site or if you moved in recently, in the binder of info left in your apartment when you moved in for more info.

For specific billing questions, including your balance, you need to speak to someone in "Accounts Receivable" at the Affiliated Management office. For contact information, look under Contact Contact Information at the top of this page. The Resident Managers do not handle anything billing related at all after your first payment when you move in.


You can go by whichever you prefer, but A9 is the correct version. We're not sure (way before our time) why apartment doors said 9A and mailboxes say A9, but either way will work for mail. We have been slowly fixing them all to letter-number as apartments are renovated.

If you live in A9, you are on the A floor, in the 9th apartment on it.
If you live in 9A, you are on the 9th floor (we have 3), in the 1st apartment on it.

Note: A9 is an example, there is no actual apartment A9.

Caldwell House is a small apartment building with husband & wife Resident Managers. Though they do live in the building, the building would need to be about double in size for there to be a full-time staff, and even then there would not be a receptionist.

The best way to reach us is usually by e-mail, we check it regularly day, night & weekends. We check for new voice messages most often between 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.

If you ever have an emergency situation, our emergency phone number is on the outgoing message of the answering machine. If we are away, that same number will go to whoever is on call while we are gone.

For our contact information, look under Contact Contact Information at the top of this page.

No. The Resident Managers live in the building, but there is no management/rental/maintenance office. If you need to reach them, e-mail, call, or fax.

In addition to online here, and the info we gave you when you moved in (if you moved in while we were here), the building phone number should be on a magnet on your refrigerator and is also posted above the mailboxes on the wall (various notes, certificates, etc.) and outside on the glass next to the front door to the building.

The Resident Managers are part-time. We ask that you do not knock on our door without speaking to us first. We have other (unrelated) jobs. Jason works from home most of the time. Ann is elsewhere at work during the day. We can not have people knocking on our door constantly, but we do have very flexible schedules. As long as you e-mail or call us first, we can usually be available day or night.

For any lease or billing related issues, contact the Affiliated Management office M-F 9am-5pm.

For contact information, look under Contact Contact Information at the top of this page.

Either just e-mail us your new info, or even better, e-mail, fax, or mail us a completed contact-info.pdf form from the forms page.

We can also give the Affiliated Management office your updated info if you want, but they usually just ask us for it whenever they need to contact someone in the building.

On the 4th Monday of every month. Keep that in mind when a month has 5 Mondays, that it's not the last one. All exterminator dates are listed on the Calendar page.

If the typical exterminator day falls on a holiday, they will come the following business day (M-F). They may also come on a different day if snow is expected on the usual day. Any change in this date will be noted on the calendar page and we will notify everyone.

Our understanding is that if you have children or a cat, you should keep them away from it until the sprayed spray is dry.

If you have any questions for the exterminator company directly, look for their sticker inside one of your upper kitchen cabinets.

Unless it falls on a holiday or during snow - The next exterminator visit should be Monday, September 23rd

You can pay your rent online, by mail, or in person (at the office). See the Pay Rent page for details.

Compact fluorescent (CFL) light bulbs should not be thrown away in the garbage because of chemicals inside of them, such as mercury.

You can bring them to any Home Depot, they should all have a display near the entrance or the returns register where you can place them for recycling (for free). There are Home Depot stores nearby in Montville (west on Bloomfield Ave), Totowa, Parsippany, and East Hanover. Lowes stores do this too, the closest is in Paterson.

You can also hold on to them and bring them to Essex County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day in May or October. For more info, see our Garbage & Recycling page.

You can find more info about CFL recycling/disposal here:

If in doubt, ask the Resident Managers, or Affiliated Management, before they stay here.


Visitors are fine, but there are limits.

Any time someone is house sitting for you or anything like that, please let the Resident Managers know to expect someone they don't know to be there.

Whoever is on the lease for the apartment is 100% responsible for what their visitors do. You must be with them when using any building facilities like the laundry room, garbage or recycling areas outside, etc., they must follow all rules that tenants must follow for this property, and if they cause damage or other issues, the tenant(s) they are staying with will be held responsible for that.

If they are unfamiliar with laws of Caldwell, or Essex County, or New Jersey, or the USA, the tenant(s) must help them with that.

Make sure your visitors know that they can only park in your assigned parking space (while you are elsewhere), or in a public parking location, abiding by signs where appropriate (permit only signs, no street parking 2-6am, etc.). If they park in an assigned space in the parking lot for another apartment, their vehicle may be towed away without warning, especially if the Resident Managers don't know who's vehicle it is, and they will have to pay a hefty fine to get it back from an impound lot.

As this is written, it is unlawful, per Borough of Caldwell code, for anyone above the maximum number of occupants (here - 2 for a 1 bedroom, 4 for a 2 bedroom) to sleep or occupy overnight, an apartment for more than 5 consecutive days, or more than 29 non-consecutive days in a 360 day period. A judge could give you a fine, community service, or even jail time for this.

So, if you want to have your friend from school visit you for a month, ask Affiliated Management about that, before they arrive. See the Contact Info page.


If you want someone to move in with you, let the Resident Managers know, and they can apply just like you did when you moved here. Affiliated Management would then determine if they need to be added to the lease, or complete alternate documentation. After that, no problem, they can move in.

Any roommate not authorized by Affiliated Management is against the rules of the lease and even a girlfriend/wife, boyfriend/husband, it's complicated, significant other, gender-fluid life partner, or family member living with you without permission is potential grounds for eviction - of course everyone would rather them be authorized then have that happen. You can not sub-let (whether you are there or not) to anyone. Also, it is unlawful per Borough of Caldwell code, for any occupant not on file with them to live in the apartment - you could be fined, given community service, or even be imprisoned.

If your PSE&G bill shows estimated, especially if it has been for more than one month, first contact them to make them aware (800-436-7734), and if it continues, let the Resident Managers know and they can try to contact them as well.

As of January 29, 2019, here are upcoming meter reading dates according to the schedule that they provide on their web site:

  • January 30, 2019
  • March 1, 2019
  • April 1, 2019
  • May 1, 2019
  • May 31, 2019
  • July 1, 2019
  • July 31, 2019
  • August 29, 2019
  • September 30, 2019
  • October 29, 2019
  • November 27, 2019
  • December 31, 2019

If you receive something with your bill describing how to submit a self-reading, you can discard that. Those are automatically mailed out by PSE&G when there are several estimated readings in a row. They are intended for people in a house.

Whatever reason you are given when you call, keep in mind that PSE&G has the keys to the locked utility room where the meters are, they can come to read the meter whether or not anyone from management is here.

You may find that you are receiving mail for previous tenants. If someone moves out and fills out a Change of Address form with the US Postal Service, that only lasts for 1 year. If they don't have people/companies that send mail to them update their address, it will be delivered to their old address after it expires. (or if the mail carrier makes a mistake and misses the CoA)

The US Postal Service will deliver mail to any name at your address. They have no idea who should receive mail there.

If you get any mail that says "or current resident", "or current occupant", or anything like that - that is yours, even if it says someone else's name.

To make sure the sender updates their records, write on the letter "Return to Sender - No Such Addressee" and then leave it at the top of the mailboxes. If you just leave it there without adding a note, it may end up back in your mailbox again.

As this is written, here are your choices... As always, you should pay attention to signs and/or call the Caldwell PD to verify that this is still correct.

  • Park in your assigned parking space - make sure we have your current car and license plate info on file
  • Park on a side-street (like Westover Ave) for free during the day until 2am; you can not park on Bloomfield Ave in this area
  • Call the Caldwell Police Department (973-226-2600) to pay for a 1 night parking permit to park on a side-street (like Westover Ave) all night; side streets down hill from here are in West Caldwell
  • Park in one of Caldwell's public parking lots - have your visitor follow you there, park one car there, drive the other one back to Caldwell House. Watch out for permit spaces, do not park in one of those, unless of course you have a permit with Caldwell. The lots are:
  • Call Caldwell Borough Hall at 973-226-6100, ask if there are any parking permits available, that would, we suppose, enable you to park in Permit spaces in Caldwell public parking lots.
  • Contact us for info about getting a monthly parking permit for a nearby parking lot. The permit is for 1 specific vehicle - if needed for visitors, park your own vehicle there, park the visitor's in our lot, and notify us of the visitor's car description & license plate. There are nights & weekends permits (8pm-9am, all weekend) and there are full-time 24/7 permits. There are a limited number of both types. Some more info is available on the Documents page.
  • Garages are no longer available as of ~ October 2017

Here is an article on Caldwells Patch about the different Caldwell parking lots:

The Caldwell Borough Council and Police Department reviewed parking options in 2012, and unfortunately decided against long-term street parking permits when local house owners complained.

See also: Borough of Caldwell, NJ Parking, Standing and Stopping

Garbage is picked up from the curb (not from the shed) early on Tuesday and Friday morning.

Recycling is removed directly from the recycling area (in the parking lot) on Thursday. One week the commingled cans are emptied, the next week the cardboard shed and the paper recycling container are emptied.

For a huge amount of additional information, see the Garbage & Recycling page.

Every so often you may hear this noise outside. It is the unique sound of the horn at the Caldwell Fire Department.

You may hear other fire department alarms too, West Caldwell's is 0.4 miles away, Verona's is 1.9 miles away, North Caldwell's is 2.6 miles away, Fairfield is 4.3.

You can smoke in your apartment, or outside.

If you smoke in your apartment, even by an open window, be aware that it will coat walls, appliances, light fixtures, etc. and that usually results in an adjusted security deposit to cover the costs for extra cleaning and painting when someone moves out.

At the Caldwell House property, you may not smoke in any common areas: Not in the hallways, stairwells, laundry room or lobby/foyer/entryway. This includes any type of smoking (cigarettes, cigarillos, cigars, pipes, hookahs, bongs, e-cigarettes, ...), including electronic devices. For more information see:

Outside next to the bench, we have a smoking receptacle. You can put cigarette butts in there, and you do not need to stamp them out first (There is a steel tube inside there).

Please try to avoid smoking near the apartment windows at the front of the building, left side.

The Borough of Caldwell has banned smoking in public buildings and borough-owned property such as public parks and recreation areas.

Essex County has banned smoking in any county-owned park and within 25 feet of any Essex County building entrance. This includes Grover Cleveland Park (Caldwell/Essex Fells), Verona Park, South Mountain Reservation and Recreation Complex, Eagle Rock Reservation, and others in the area.

Door closers are required by law. Their purpose is essentially to contain a fire and to decrease the possibility of a robbery if you are bringing in groceries or new furniture.

They can not be removed, but they can be adjusted. However, as they are adjusted, they must be able to fully close and latch after being let go from 45 degrees. They may close and latch differently in the summer heat than they do in the winter cold (a wood door expands and contracts), it must work all year. We already do this before a vacant apartment becomes occupied.

If your neighbors drive you crazy letting theirs slam all the time, ask them to prevent it from slamming. Unfortunately, we can not adjust it to prevent that.

You are allowed to have one or two 100% indoors-only cats. They must be spayed/neutered (when old enough). Cats do not have to be licensed in Caldwell. If asked by Police or Animal Control, you must be able to provide proof of current rabies vaccine. For our records, we require a physical description, male/female, name, and a picture. We keep a list of all cats in the building in case of fire or other emergency, or if one gets out by mistake.

We are sorry, but dogs are not allowed, of any size or noise level. You may not even have a dog visit temporarily.

A fish bowl or small fish tank is allowed. You must get approval from Affiliated Management for a tank that is more than a gallon or two. One crack can cause severe damage to your floor and anything below your apartment. You (and/or your Renter's Insurance) would have to pay for the repairs.

A turtle in an enclosed tank is allowed.

For any other pets, even if you assume it would be obviously OK, contact Affiliated Management to check before you get it.

At this time, there is no pet deposit or fee, but you would be required to remove all traces of your pet before moving out. That is, extensive cleaning, ensuring that no future tenant with allergies would be effected by it. If repairs had to be made or a cleaning company had to be hired because you had a pet in the apartment, then those charges would be passed along to you.

If you are interested in adopting a cat, some local options are:

* = The Resident Managers have personal experience with these

Contact us if you are going to adopt a cat, before you go. They may require a letter or a phone call verifying that you are allowed to have one in your apartment.

Pets inside decals:


The small building in front of us, 529 Bloomfield Ave, has 5 apartments. They have 5 assigned parking spaces in our parking lot (1, 16, 17, 28, & 29), otherwise they are 100% separate from us. Different management company, they should not be using our sheds, should have their own sidewalk/driveway snow removal, and the rest...

Snow & ice removal, no.

The landscaper for our property will occasionally blow leaves out of the back yard. (...then the different landscapers on both sides and the wind will probably blow them back again.)

The back door is essentially an emergency exit, though as this is written, no alarm will sound if you open it. If you find yourself in the back yard in wet/snowy/icy conditions, the "proper" way, and the safe way to get back to Caldwell House is to walk through the Westcourt Apartments courtyard to the Bloomfield Ave sidewalk, then to our front door. i.e. Use the back door at your own risk.


Here's why...

  1. The lease you signed says you can not do that
  2. Because it's against the building rules
  3. We don't want other tenants to trip over them
  4. We don't want UPS, FedEx, DHL, LaserShip, et. al. to trip over them
  5. We don't want our appliance delivery guys to trip over them
  6. We don't want our hallway carpet to become any dirtier than it already gets
  7. Because you don't rent the hallway, you rent the apartment... :-)
  8. ...

One example of an inside wet/dirty shoes solution: Bed, Bath & Beyond's boot tray. In the store, they are usually in a stack right when you walk in and they cost about $8. We have seen something similar at Home Depot and at Harmons in West Caldwell (near Dunkin Donuts) as well.

Wet compact/collapsable umbrella? Put it in a sink.
Wet full-sized umbrella? Put it in your bathtub.

If you have wall-to-wall carpeting in your apartment and can not put a floor mat inside to wipe your feet (because your door would drag on it), a floor mat in the hallway is allowed. That is the only thing that is. You must keep that mat cleaned yourself, and if it has frayed bits on it over time, trim them off.


A visitor can leave a bicycle leaning up against the side of the garbage shed (closest to the front door) for a little while, but beyond that it would have to go in your apartment, preferably without leaving dirt tracks in the hallway.

You can not leave anything else outside, other than, of course, your vehicle in your assigned parking space.

By law, fire escapes must remain 100% empty as well. They are only for escaping a fire.

See also: Can I leave boots (or anything else) in the hallway?

See also: Can we get satellite TV in our apartment?

Call the phone # on the sign in the laundry room, tell them you are a tenant at Caldwell House. We use a laundry company that owns & services those machines. Also tell them if it was a washer or dryer and which machine number it was so they can check to make sure it is working properly. Each machine has a sticker with it's number on it.

If there is ever a problem with a machine like a dryer is not drying well enough (after you clean out the lint trap), it is not draining water, or any other mechanical issue like that, contact us. That way we can keep an eye on it's progress, put an Out of Order sign on it, and so on.

Do not ever screw in to, nail in to, tape, or otherwise damage the windows. As the saying goes: You break it, you bought it.

The best way to secure a window is to close both sashes, and lock it.

If the window slides up and down, push the top all the way up, push the bottom all the way down, then lock it. Don't assume it is locked, try to move it.

If the window slides side to side, push the left sash to the left, and the right sash to the right. You may need to push both of them at the same time, or one will drag the other with it. Once both are fully closed, lock both locks. Check it to make sure it really is locked.

[ Window lock image ]

If you want to secure a window that is partly opened, so it can not be opened further (without a sledgehammer), then you can use vinyl window locks for up/down sliding windows.

If you are on the bottom "A" floor, we already provided you with some, either when the windows were installed in 2012, or when you moved in if it was after that.

Vinyl window locks are available through, at Home Depot Montville in aisle 7 (as of May 2019). For Ace Hardware, you would have to order it and do In-store Pickup when it arrives.

Some examples of vinyl window locks that are available:

  • Defender Security U 9809 Sliding Window Lock for Vinyl Windows
  • Prime-Line White, Diecast, Vinyl Window Security Lock, model U 9809

Do not use aluminum window locks on any windows, those are made for metal windows and will damage vinyl ones.

To secure a partly open side-to-side sliding window, to prevent it from opening more, look in to a window bar or a tension rod. Or, just make or buy yourself anything that will sit in the track and prevent it from opening all the way.

See also:
How do I install the window locks?
Can we nail/screw/drill through our windows, window sills, or window frames?

If you live on the A (bottom) floor, you were left one lock per window when you moved in, or when the windows were installed if you lived here at the time.

If you need one on upper floors because, for example, you would like to leave your fire escape window cracked-open, but prevent any evildoers from opening it further from outside, you can use one of these window locks to do that.

You can also do that if you put a window fan in the window and would like to ensure that the window sash holding it down does not open any further.

The locks clamp on to the side of the window frame above the sash that you are trying to hold from moving up any further. The sash is the two halves of the window that slide up and down. Place the lock on the window frame as shown in the pictures. Turn the handle clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to remove it: "Lefty loosey, rightey tightey".

[Window lock pic 1]
[Window lock pic 2]

See also: Can we nail/screw/drill through our windows, window sills, or window frames?

Every few weeks or few months the hot water heater starts to get clogged with calcium and limescale build-up from the Caldwell water supply.


Once a pipe inside the water heater gets clogged up too much, causing a large amount of water to be forced through a smaller opening, the water heater can start jumping around a little. This causes the hot water pipes connected to it to make a knocking noise. Depending on where you are located in the building and your hot water pipe connections, you may not hear this at all, you may hear this faintly, or you may hear this loudly. As soon as we hear it for ourselves, or someone reports it to us, we schedule our HVAC contractors to come to clean it out.

If the hot water heater has to be shut off for this sort of maintenance, sometimes there may be cold water coming out when your faucet is turned to hot, sometimes no water at all, and sometimes you may get hot water until the already previously heated-up water runs out. It depends on exactly what they need to do this time.

Unless you don't mind them being 100% cold for all or part of the time, do not run your dishwasher, do laundry, or take a shower. You are of course welcome to microwave or stove-heat water for cooking though.

After everything is turned back on, depending on which way it was shut off, you may have sputtering air coming out of faucets, tub spout, and the first toilet flush may make a knocking sound. Run water for a minute or two in each faucet, both hot and cold, then flush, and that should get most, if not all, of the air out.

We are certainly not entomologists or exterminators, but from what we have seen, spring and summer are the times when many insects thrive most in this area. Then in the fall, insects try to get inside to get out of the cold. It's nearly impossible to keep every single one of them out. Other than the common housefly, mosquitos, bees, wasps, etc. you may also see ones going up the wall that look like Firebrats or Silverfish and usually near trees and bushes you will find Stink bugs.

If you do see a Stink Bug, scoop it up on a piece of paper and either dump it in the toilet & flush, or dump it in to a Ziploc bag, and throw it in the garbage. DO NOT SMOOSH IT or vacuum it up or you may experience where they got their name. You can throw it outside too, but it may just find it's way back in again, or lay eggs...

If you see only a few, try something like:

You can usually find them at Home Depot, Target, some hardware stores, garden centers, and supermarkets. You can use those to spray a protective barrier across your window sills that should prevent or at least minimize them from coming in that way. We did this before you moved in, if you moved in after we started here.

Make sure you let the exterminator in for the monthly visit and try to keep food and paper products in lower cabinets in a sealed container. If you have an ongoing problem, take pictures, make notes of where and when you see them, and give us or the exterminator that information to help figure out what type of insect it is and where it is coming from. Different insects eat different material, and different types require different treatments.

If you ever see a large number of bugs inside or outside, contact us right away.

See also: When does the exterminator come?

  1. Verify it is not just a GFI/GFCI outlet trip
  2. Verify that it is not just a breaker in the apartment
  3. See if the building hallway lights are out or not
  4. If it's everywhere, call PSE&G at 800-436-7734 or report the outage online
  5. Contact the Resident Managers to make sure they know

If only one outlet is not working, check to see if the outlet is a GFI/GFCI outlet - one with test/reset buttons. This is most common in kitchens and bathrooms, because they are required there by building code. If so, try the reset button. Some have a small light on them when they have power.

If only a few outlets or lights are not working, check the electrical panel. Every apartment has an electrical panel with breakers in it. In a 2 bedroom apartment, it is usually in the hallway near the front closet and hall light switch. In a 1 bedroom apartment, near the kitchen & hall light switches.

If no breakers are tripped and everything in the apartment is out, check the building hallway lights. If they are out too, then the whole building is probably out. Contact PSE&G at 800-436-7734 or do it from their web site, (from your smartphone or other 3G/4G device). After that, if you can, let the Resident Managers know that yours is out and that you called PSE&G.

Do not assume that someone else in the building has already called PSE&G. Every apartment should individually call or report it online when the power is out so they know how many people are effected. You can usually get an estimation of when power will be restored if it is a known problem.

The Caldwell House answering machine will run off of a battery backup until it runs out. If you have an old land-line phone that does not require a power adapter, that will still work in a power failure - but with Verizon FiOS it will stop working after it's battery backup runs out (usually in your front closet).

There is a very rare (3 times in 8 years) circumstance where seemingly random lights and electrical outlets may work while others may not, this issue must be handled by PSE&G outside - we can confirm if that is what is going on, or not.

If you have medication that must be refrigerated, and no way to keep it cool, let the Resident Managers know.

We are close to 7-Eleven, SuperFoodtown, Stop & Shop, a 24/7 Walgreens, a 24/7 CVS, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, ... All of which will probably have an inexpensive styrofoam cooler, ice, a flashlight, candles, etc.

When the whole building is out, battery-powered emergency lights will light in the common areas. All fire doors - the ones at the end of each hallway, will close, after their electricity-powered magnets loose their magnetism.

In an extended natural-disaster type power failure, as with Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and the blizzard in 2011, we will provide other common area lighting as the primary lights run out. We have battery powered lights, glow sticks, etc. We have a generator for the sewer pumps.

Short answer: ...because that is the correct way to do it.

Long answer:

Jason is a System(s) Administrator. Someone that works on servers and networks, and has been using the Internet, and working with Internet-oriented companies for a long time.

Long-time computer users, especially computer and network engineer types, consider "top-posting", or replying at the top, to be incorrect. Some even consider it to be rude, or a breach of Internet etiquette (aka. netiquette). top-posting is especially frowned upon in Usenet newsgroups, mailing lists, and user forums - depending on the target audience.

top-posting has become common in recent years because Microsoft started making that the default setting in their (IMHO horrible) e-mail software, and it spread to smart phone manufacturers wanting their business as well. Now many people find it faster to simply reply at the top, leaving the entire original message below, with no reference points and no chopping it for brevity or understandability. This is the same as using forward instead of reply. [ This is not very helpful when you send and receive several hundred e-mails every day ]

Jason certainly doesn't expect you to change how you write e-mail, but he's not going to either. :-)

If you care to read more about posting style:

If you have not seen your neighbor in a while and you are worried about them, especially if they are elderly or are ill, let us know and we can try to contact them or their emergency contact(s).

If you are truly worried for their well being, call the Caldwell Police Department at 973-226-2600. When they arrive, tell them to contact us by hitting 00 on the front door intercom, or if that doesn't work, the emergency number on our answering machine.

See also: Where can I find your phone number?

If you get locked out, enter 00 on the front door intercom to call. That rings in two different places. If either of us are at Caldwell House at the time, we will let you back in as soon as possible. There is no fee for this unless you do it constantly.

None of our phones rings at night because we get apartment calls, marketing calls, calls from contractors, and the rest 24/7. Only our emergency phone # would wake us up. Locking yourself out is not considered an emergency, it's a self-imposed inconvenience. In case we are asleep, out, or on vacation when this happens to you, we highly recommend that you leave a copy of your keys with a local family member or trusted friend.

We keep a copy of everyone's keys in a locked key locker, which is in a locked room. If you loose all copies of your keys, we can give you our copy so you can get more copies made.

If someone steals your keys, we can have our locksmiths come to re-key the locks. You would have to pay for that. Once our locksmith's invoice arrives at the Affiliated Management office, that amount would be added to your next rent bill.

You can flush two things down your toilet:

  1. What comes out of your body
  2. Toilet paper

That's it.

Do NOT flush any of these things:

  • Baby wipes
  • Adult wipes
  • Bathroom cleaning wipes
  • Feminine wipes
  • Tampons
  • Maxi-pads
  • Rags
  • Paper towels
  • Cloth towels
  • Diapers - baby, adult, cloth or disposable
  • Pantyhose (yes, someone did that)
  • Disposable toilet brushes

Even if it says flushable or sceptic-safe, throw it in your garbage, do not flush it down the toilet.

We are required to have sewer pumps here to get uphill to the Bloomfield Ave sewer line. Any of those listed things can clog up the pumps, causing thousands of dollars in damage, and inconvenience to everyone in the building until the system is repaired.

You should not flush any of those things anywhere, not only at Caldwell House... Even if they don't have pumps like we do, you can still clog up the pipes of any house or building. That would not be so great if you visit a friend and plug up their house's sewage pipe.

Even certain types of toilet paper are bad to use - it won't effect the sewer pumps, but multi-layer super-quilted TP will clog up your toilet. Modern toilets that only use 1.6 gallons-per-flush can't handle it like decades-old toilets that used several gallons of water for each flush.

We keep a list of all tenant vehicles and vehicles that tenants allow to park in their assigned parking space. We also have a list of previous parking violators.

If someone is in your parking space, if possible, take down the following information:

  • License plate (including state)
  • Vehicle color
    If at night, guess or tell us that you can't tell
  • Vehicle make
    Accura, Ford, Honda, Lexus, Nissan, Toyota, ...
  • Vehicle model
    ...if it says
  • Exact time that you first saw it there
    ...if you did not call right away
  • If you can e-mail a picture of it there, even better

If we know who's vehicle it is, we will contact them immediately. If not, they will get a note from us in their windshield, and if they are still there after a few hours, they can be towed.

To contact us, either call from outside with the front door intercom (enter 00), or call and leave a message at 973-403-2682. Note: We can not hear the phone ring while we are sleeping. Note: Someone being parked in your parking space is not an emergency. Do not call the emergency number for this.

Until the other vehicle leaves or is removed from your space, you can park on Westover Ave until 2am. Westover Ave is about 100' away from our driveway on the same side of Bloomfield Ave. If you have multiple vehicles, i.e. one that you park in our lot, and another with a parking permit, you can take both vehicles to a public parking lot, leave one, then come back to Caldwell House in one vehicle. If that is not an option, you can call the Caldwell Police Department and ask for a 1 night street parking permit (not free, but not expensive).

If there are any vacant apartments available at the time, we will allow you to park there in the evening after the showings and contractors are done for the day.

As long as they've been there long enough where they wouldn't be gone before the tow truck arrives, we will call the police department, then the tow company.

See also: What are my options for parking? (lists public parking lots)

Short answer: You are.

Long answer:

You should always assume that you will have to shovel your parking space, or wait for the sun to melt the snow in it.

A few community shovels will be made available in the garbage shed when it snows, unless someone breaks/loses all of them. There is usually a scraper or two as well. We suggest that everyone purchase their own telescoping snow broom/brush so they can clear snow from their entire vehicle, even the roof, which is required in New Jersey.

If you are physically unable because you are elderly or are visibly injured (crutches, a cast) and have nobody that can help you, contact the Resident Managers. ...though, if you are physically unable to shovel snow, please consider that you may not need to go for a drive in it.

You are more than welcome to hire kids with shovels or someone with a snowblower, but keep in mind that you will be held 100% responsible for what they do.

If the Resident Managers are notified in advance of when the plow is coming, they will let everyone know, but that is very rare - it usually only happens when there is a big storm or the parking lot is already filled up with snow piles from multiple snow storms.

See also: Does the back yard have snow/ice/leaf removal?

Task Responsible party
Apartment power, TV, phone, Internet-access bills Tenants
Gas, sewer, water bills Caldwell House
Heat Caldwell House's boiler
Hot water Caldwell House's water heater
Purchasing & changing apartment light bulbs Tenants
Cleaning the apartment Tenants
Tightening or replacing toilet seat Tenants
Toilet plunger Tenants
...but if you can't clear the clog yourself, Caldwell House
Repairing building-owned...
Air conditioners
baseboard heaters
bathroom exhaust fans
light fixtures
ranges (stove/oven)
range hoods
Caldwell House
...unless it is tenant-damaged, then tenants (financially)
Building hallway light bulbs Caldwell House
Building hallway welcome mat Tenants
Apartment Comcast equipment, wiring Wiring: tenants, equipment: Comcast
Apartment Verizon FiOS equipment, wiring Wiring & battery: tenants, equipment: Verizon
Clearing snow from parking space Tenants
Replacing broken blinds Caldwell House orders and replaces them, charge added by Affiliated Management to tenant rent bill (when the bill for the blinds arrives there)
Lost keys, no security issue Caldwell House will provide a key for free that you can get copied at Ace Harware, Home Depot, etc.
Lost keys, security issue If someone stole your keys, or you wrote your address on your key chain and lost your keys, or you have a stalker, ...
Charge from our locksmith would be added to rent bill
We have a lock-out device that we could put over the doorknob until they arrive
Locksmith due to worn lock If our locksmith re-keys it to the same key - Caldwell House

The range hood model # is underneath, usually on the left side. The microwave model # is usually inside on a metal plate. Once you have the model #, you can find the part # of a replacement filter. If you can not find it, contact the Resident Managers, they have that information for every apartment.

The most common range hood installed here is the Broan model 413001. The manufacturer part number for it's filter is 97007696. You can also find it as Broan-NuTone model # 41F. The dimensions of the filter are 8-3/4" (8.75) x 10-1/2" (10.5) and it is 3/8" (.375) thick. You can usually find replacement filters on,, etc.

If you cook regularly, you should replace the filter every year or when it starts to look discolored and greasy.

See also: Maintenance Tips, Manuals

We'd be sorry to see you go, but if you need to move out, simply return your annual lease renewal form marked Reject before the "no later than" date specified, sign and date it, then get it to the Resident Managers. The note included with it describes how to that. It will then be hand delivered to Affiliated Management the following business day.

If you need to ask for an extension to match up with your move in date at the new location or anything like that, contact the Property Manager Assistant at Affiliated Managment. See the Contact Info page.

Advice: Leave yourself an overlap period. Lots of new places are not ready on time, lots of closings fall through.

Once everything is set, we will send you information about the details of moving out, including showing the apartment to future tenant candidates, painting, cleaning, and so on.

Renter's insurance is not required, but it is highly recommended.

Click/tap on Effective Coverage below for a note sent out by Affiliated Management in June 2015:

Effective Coverage

If you see someone smoking outside directly in front of the building entrance or you see them smoking in any inside common area such as the foyer, hallways, stairwells, or laundry room, you might try informing them that it is not allowed first. If you like, we (the Resident Managers) can do that if you tell us the apartment and name or description of the person doing it, date and time that you witnessed it happening, or better yet - send us a picture of it happening. You can also submit a form for the State of New Jersey:

As you might imagine, that would be the slowest option. You can contact the local health department. As this is written, that is probably supposed to be the Bloomfield Dept of Health & Human Services 973-680-4024. They provide health department and animal-related services to some other towns/boroughs in addition to Bloomfield itself.

You can also at least ask the Caldwell Board of Health about it by calling 973-403-4623 or e-mailing

If it is on a county road, like Bloomfield Ave, contact Essex County Department of Public Works online at or by calling 973-239-3366, ext 2220.

If it is on a local road, like Westover Ave, contact the Caldwell Department of Public Works at 973-403-4635, or Borough Hall at 973-226-6100.

[ Extra lines are here so we can skip down to the last ones in the list ]